There's just three short days until Christmas, and I don't know about you guys, but we are soaking in every last minute of it. From ornament making, to cookie baking, to present wrapping, we've been doing it all. One thing that was on my holiday to-do list, that I finally got around to doing, was making homemade marshmallows for our hot cocoa. They are so much tastier than the traditional store bought marshmallows and surprisingly easy to make! Here's how to make these tasty little treats!
What you will need:
3 packages of unflavored gelatin (you can find these over by the jello - baking aisle - in most grocery stores)
powdered sugar (for dusting)
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 c. light corn syrup
1 tsp. peppermint extract
crushed peppermints (optional)
How to -
- Combine gelatin and 1/2 c. COLD water in a bowl with an electric mixer. Let sit while you prepare your other ingredients.
- While that sets you will want to combine your sugar, corn syrup, salt and 1/2 c. water in sauce pan on medium heat until the sugar has dissolved. Once it has dissolved turn the pan up to high and cook until it reaches 240 degrees fahrenheit. You can use a candy thermometer for this or a basic one. I used a basic thermometer I had on hand.
- After that's done combine it with your gelatin mixture and mix with an electric mixer on high until it is a nice thick consistency.. it will take about 15 minutes so hang in there!
- Lastly add your vanilla and peppermint extract and mix well.
- After your marshmallow mixture is done, you will want to coat a 13x9 glass pan generously with powdered sugar. Be sure to get the sides as well!
- Pour mixture into coated pan, smooth until it's evenly distributed, and dust the top generously with powdered sugar.
- Let sit until dry - usually overnight
- After your marshmallows have dried, turn them over onto a sheet of parchment paper, dust with more sugar (if needed) and crushed peppermints (optional).
- Cut with a knife or pizza cutter and serve! I served mine with this super delicious hot cocoa recipe below.
Hot Cocoa Recipe -
2 T. unsweetend cocoa powder
1-2 T. sugar
1 c. milk or cream
1/4 t. vanilla.
combine first 3 ingredients on stove until hot. pour in vanilla and serve.
xo - emily