Mini Heart Pies
Valentine's Day is right around the corner, and you know what that means - all the sweets, treats and goodies you could ever imagine! One of my all time favorite activities to do with my boys, Edward and Alistair, is to make home baked goods during all the various holidays. With that said, Valentine’s Day is definitely one of those holidays that never disappoints. I feel like the possibilities are endless! Some of our go to’s are chocolate covered strawberries and iced cookies, however this year I decided to try something new - Mini Heart Pies! And oh, just wait…it gets better…Mini *Nutella Filled* Heart Pies. Yep, you read that right! If you’re like me, Nutella is good on pretty much everything and pairing it with pie pastry is the cherry on top.
These heart pies are the perfect treat to make with kids because it’s super fun to let them be involved. We found it to be a great opportunity for some sensory play! My oldest son, Edward, had so much fun cutting out the hearts with the cookie cutter, and my youngest son, Alistair, loved kneading the excess dough.
In order to make these pies all you need to do is grab a handful of ingredients:
Heart Cookie Cutter
Pie Dough (we used boxed - time saver!)
1 Egg + a teaspoon of water
Cinnamon Sugar for dusting
- To start, preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- While the oven is preheating, gather all of your ingredients. Line your baking sheet with parchment paper. After that, line your table with parchment paper and unroll some pie dough.
- Take the cookie cutter and gently stamp out as many hearts that the dough allows and place them onto the baking sheet. We were able to get 8 hearts in all. (We could have gotten more, but we had too much fun playing with the dough!)
- Spoon the Nutella onto each heart leaving enough room on the edges to top it with another heart.
- Whisk the egg and water together creating a mixture that will act as glue so that the two heart shapes will stick together. Taking a brush, carefully outline the edges of each heart with the egg mixture.
- Unroll the other pie dough and cut out the same amount of hearts you did the first time.
- One by one, place the hearts you just stamped on top of the hearts with the Nutella on them. Take a fork and gently push down the edges of the hearts.
- Dust with cinnamon sugar.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, or until golden and flaky.
I hope you enjoy making these as much as we did! We have definitely found a new go to Valentine’s treat!
About the author:My name is Audrey Chaney, and I am the happy wife to Ed of nearly 6 years and the smitten mama to Edward who just turned 4 and Alistair who is 1 1/2. I currently stay at home with my boys, and we are in the process of getting ready to homeschool. I am passionate about supporting unique, ethical and beautiful children's clothing shops like Fin and Vince. I myself own a micro handmade children's clothing shop called The Chaney Nest where I am presently taking a break to see what direction I'd like for my business to head. On my website you can access my shop as well as my blog where I enjoy posting recipes that we're trying, family happenings and things of the like.