If you're looking for a fun activity to do with your kids, or just some down time to yourself to get creative, look no further! This DIY is super simple, fun for the holidays and can last through the whole year if you want it to. Gather your supplies, get creative, and see what you can create!
1. First start by drying your oranges. Start this about 4 hours before starting on the wreath. Cut 1/4 inch thick and place on a cooling rack on top of a cookie sheet without overlapping. Cook in the oven at 200 degrees for 4 hours. For darker orange colors, cook longer.
2. After the oranges have dried, gather all your supplies!
3. Trim the individual stems off the larger bushels from both the pine bushel and berry bundle, cutting the berries off into smaller bundles.
4. Start making individual bundles to attach to the wreath. Take 1-2 pine stems depending on the size, 1-2 oranges, a few clusters of berries and attach them together. If using smaller pine stems, I stagger the two stems and then wire together. When wire wrapping dried orange slices, wrap around the rind so the wire doesn't rip through. Creating similar sized bundles and then attaching them to the wreath helps to keep a proportionate wreath. It usually takes about 6-7 bundles to fill a sunburst wreath.
5. Take your wreath and an arms width long piece of wire. Wrap an end of the wire tightly around a starting point on the sunburst wreath. This will act as your anchor as you begin wire wrapping the bundles onto the wreath.
6. Start wrapping! When wrapping the very first bundle to the wreath- wrap a few times around the beginning base of the bundle to secure your starting point. Tip: when wire wrapping florals, navigate the wire underneath leaves, berries, petals etc while wrapping so you're not smashing the foliage and exposing your wire. Finding and wrapping at the base of the foliage will also give you a more secure wrap.
7. After you've attached all your pine/orange/berry bundles, gather your leftover berries and oranges and attach to bare spots on the wreath with extra wire. You're all done! This can be both a holiday wreath and decor to be left up all year!
Tips: Use the %40 off Hobby Lobby coupon on any full priced item. I used it on the sunburst wreath!