This year we are kicking off the holiday season with 12 days of handmade, do-it-yourself (and with the kids) ornaments that are sure to bring some love to your tree and keep those kiddos busy during the holiday break! I will be showing you guys how to make some super simple and easy ornaments that are great to make and share! We've carefully crafted these ornaments with busy parents and kids in mind so most of these ornaments can be made in an afternoon, will require supplies that you more than likely have around the house, and of course, are super fun! We hope you all enjoy our 12 days of handmade holiday ornament making!
DAY 1 - Today, I will be showing you how to make these super simple knit sock caps using your leftover toilet roll holders - yes, you heard that right! Don't throw in the trash just yet! They make for some pretty cute ornament supplies!
What you will need:
Toilet Roll or Paper Towel Holder
Yarn (choose a color or two that you prefer)
1. First you will want to cut your toilet roll into pieces that are about 1/2 wide. You will still want to keep the roll in a circle shape, so don't cut through it. (as shown)
2. Next you will want to cut pieces of your yarn to prep for wrapping around the holders. I like to keep my pieces long, so I have plenty of string to work with, so I cut them at about 12in each.
3. After you've cut all of your yarn, you are going to loop tie them through, as pictured above. It's super simple to do and you'll want to repeat that step until you've fully covered your paper towel holder (pictured below).
4. After you've filled you holders with the yarn of your choice, you will want to take another piece of yarn (about 8in long) and tie it towards the top of your cut string making sure that all pieces are being tied. (see photo below)
5. Now you can see that it resembles a sock cap! Pull all the strings through, making sure they are tight. Trim the tops down about a 3/4 of an inch from where you tied the string and you've got yourself a super cute little sock cap ornament to hang on your tree! Feel free to hang these with ornament hangers.
Stay tuned for more handmade ornaments coming your way this week! The fun is just getting started!
xo - Emily